Tuesday 19 April 2011

Post 30- Final Developments

Having rejected the blobby, idiosyncratic shapes generated by previous rules, I sought to strip my generative symbols down to something that would allow the user to gauge each sound's proximity to the next. The most immediate way of doing this, used universally to differentiate visual information in contexts such as tube maps, encyclopaedias, filing systems and electronics, is colour coding. Rather than the shape creating the point of difference, I would use the more immediately comparable medium of colour. 


In each symbol, there are a number of segments which correspond to intervals in the song where measurements of sound values are taken, this value determines the colour for that segment. The top image is one I experimented with, whereby changes in tone and bpm over time dictated the change in hue, however I felt that this was too similar to a pie-chart as the hue changes were the most dominant aspect. Giving the symbol a single hue, and communicating the differences in sound values through variations within that hue creates a much more readable visual and, I think, a more pleasing aesthetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment