Sunday 17 April 2011

Post 11- Sound & Programming

I approached this project of converting music into visuals knowing little about the technical aspects of the former. Having never played an instrument, I've only ever enjoyed music as a listener and was therefore unfamiliar with some of the terminology I came across when reading certain articles about how sound can be interpreted visually. Other terminology I had heard, but did not wholly understand, for example 'decibels', a unit for measuring sound that is logarithmic (another term I needed to clarify). The Fourier transform is something I'm currently trying to get my head around as it is one way in which visuals to describe sounds are generated (such as Spectograms) and in the process, I have been led down a rabbit hole of other terms and concepts that are used to define it such as sine waves, oscillation and resonance.

It also became apparent pretty early on that, for my visual system to viably be able to generate visuals for any meaningful number of sounds, I would need to learn some kind of programming to create something that would help generate either the data for me to use to create the shapes in illustrator or ideally to generate the shapes themselves. Since I have as much expertise in this as I do in music, I sought advice and help from Louis Eguchi, a creative programming genius who is in the progress of creating some software that will make it possible for me to create a decent number of visuals. 




No comments:

Post a Comment